Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
My family's holiday staple. We rarely had a holiday meal without this on the table. This is an excellent side to Ham, but goes well with turkey to. It comes out similar to a bread pudding. You can sub prepackaged bread cubes, just try and eyeball 6 slices worth.
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 6 pieces stale bread, cubed
- 1 (16 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 1 pinch salt
- Beat margarine and sugar.
- Add eggs.
- Mix in pineapple.
- Fold in bread cubes.
- pour into a well buttered baking or casserole dish.
- Bake at 375 deg. F. for 45min.
- Check with toothpick or cake tester in center it should come out clean.
Served this along side Easter ham. Very tasty and everyone thought it was more of a desert than a side dish. I couldn't find a 16 oz can of crushed pineapple so I used a 20 oz can and increased the other ingredients accordingly.
An interesting variation on bread pudding, which is how I thought of it! Rather than stale bread I used cubes of a heavy, whole wheat bread & thought it made up into a tasty dish! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's PAC]