Recipe by Sharon123
What a great presentation this makes! Pineapple boats filled with a medley of rice and vegetables with a yummy sauce, topped with roasted peanuts! Adapted from The Nut Gourmet by Zed Allen.
- 1 large ripe pineapple (3-4 pounds)
- 1 broccoli, crown
- 1⁄2 lb asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces, about 2 cups (or green beans or zucchini)
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄3 cup whole peanuts (raw or roasted)
- 1⁄2-1 jalapeno pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled, grated
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups short grain brown rice, cooked
- 1 -2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 -2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 large green onions, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted dry roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F Have ready a large baking sheet and an 8" square baking dish.
- Wash the pineapple. With a sharp knife, cut the pineapple in half lengthwise, cutting through the green tops as well. Using a curved, serrated grapefruit knife, remove the pineapple flesh, leaving a 1/2" shell.
- Chop the pineapple flesh into 1" chunks and put them into a bowl. Set the chunks and pineapple shells aside.
- Coarsely chop the broccoli crown and place it into a large bowl along with the asparagus, red bell pepper, whole peanuts, jalapeno chile, garlic and ginger.
- Heat the water and 1 teaspoons of the vegetable oil in a large, deep skillet. Add the vegetable mixture and cook, stirring over high heat for about 3 minutes. Move to a bowl.
- Add the rice to the skillet and moisten it with the rice vinegar, soy sauce, and remaining 1 tbsp oil. Add a little water if the mixture seems too dry.
- Add the pineapple chunks, vegetables, and chopped green onions and mix well. Adjust the seasoning by adding more rice vinegar and soy sauce, if needed.
- Stuff the mixture into the pineapple shells and place them on the baking sheet. Put any remaining stuffing into the 8" baking dish. Top the pineapple and stuffing mixture with the chopped peanuts.
- Cover the pineapple boats with foil, shiny side down. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Take out of the oven and cut each pineapple section in half. Enjoy!