Recipe by EveMarieBG
A modified version of SoupCookie's recipe, I made these one evening after work and shared them with my coworkers the next day. They were a great hit.
UPSIDE DOWN TOPPING
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 2⁄3 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple juice (reserved from can)
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, slightly softened
- 2 tablespoons applesauce
- 3⁄4 cup sugar (I used raw sugar)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 large egg whites
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- TOPPING: In a small pan melt together first 4 ingredients over medium heat. Stir until mixed and remove from heat.
- Grease muffin tin with non-stick spray (do not use liners).
- Drain can of crushed pineapple, reserving liquid. Divide crushed pineapple between muffin cups and put on the bottom.
- Put 4 blueberries on top of the pineapple on the bottom of each muffin cup. I used frozen berries but fresh or dried should work too.
- Pour a tablespoon or so of brown sugar mix over the fruit in each cup.
- CAKE: In a large bowl, mix flours and baking soda; set aside.
- In a medium bowl beat butter and sugar together thoroughly.
- Stir vanilla into butter/sugar mix, then add egg whites and beat well.
- In a small bowl, combine the pineapple juice and yougurt, add milk and stir.
- Fold the wet mixes into the dry in alternating fashion (between the butter/sugar mix and juice/milk mix).
- Stir until it's just combined -- don't over mix.
- Divide batter between muffin tins over fruit topping.
- Bake for 20 minute or until muffin is done (toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean).
- If eating immediately, let cool for 5 minute and run knife around the edge before transferring to plate. If eating later, chill in the refrigerator before removing from the pan (the topping comes out better this way).