Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
A super good side dish! Add 1 whole clove for an added zip.
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple tidbits, do not drain
- 1 (16 ounce) cansliced beets, drained
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In saucepan, mix brown sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
- Add pineapple and bring to a boil, stirring.
- Boil and stir for 1 minute.
- Add beets, butter, and lemon juice.
- Cook on med for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve warm.
This turned out lovely and tasted really good too...a nice twist on Harvard beets. I doubled the recipe because I was cooking for a large group, but had so many dishes made up, I could have gotten by without increasing it...oh well...leftovers for DH and myself... :-) Thanks for sharing Inez!!
I'm not necessarily a beet or pineapple fan but did a "test run" of this recipe as a potential menu item for Thanksgiving. The older folks in the family enjoy beets so I thought I'd try it and see what I thought. I was pleasantly surprised. This is an extremely easy recipe to make and it made the beets reasonably tasty. I used crushed pineapple. In the future, I'd increase the brown sugar since I like sweet flavors.
I'm not much of a pineapple fan, but this was good. I omitted the butter and decreased the brown sugar to 2 tablespoons. Good recipe, thanks for posting. (I think there's an error in the cooking time -- this doesn't take 1 hour 10 minutes to cook!)