Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
My neighbor made this delicious cake. The cake is moist and has a crisp edge because it is cooked in a cast-iron skillet. She got the recipe from the Jan Feb 2004 Cooking Light magazine.
- 29.58 ml butter
- 177.44 ml packed brown sugar
- 439.41 g can pineapple slices in juice, undrained
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 118.29 ml granulated sugar
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml ground cinnamon
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Melt butter in a 9-inch cast-iron skillet and sprinkle evenly with the brown sugar.
- Remove from heat.
- Drain pineapple slices over a bowl, reserving 1/2 cup juice.
- Place 1 pineapple ring in center of skillet Cut remaining pineapple rings in half and arrange around the center pineapple ring.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and the salt.
- Combine reserved juice, banana, oil, and egg and stir with a whisk.
- Add pineapple juice mixture to flour mixture, stirring until combined.
- Pour over the pineapple, into the skillet.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Invert onto a wire rack and serve while still warm or at room temperature.
This was fantastic! The only change I made was I used coconut oil in the batter instead of vegetable oil. Adding the ripe mashed banana was a great touch on this classic cake and baking in cast iron is always lovely. It turned out of the pan beautifully. Will be using this one often! Thank you!
Read more at: http://www.food.com/recipe/pineapple-banana-upside-down-cake-83077/review?oc=linkback
Delicious! Added Macadamia nuts to the pineapple brown sugar and used crushed pineapple as personal preference. Made in a springform pan, it unmolded perfectly. LOVED IT!!
awesome! made a few changes - added sliced bananas to the pineapple, pecans, used coconut oil for oil in batter and swiped out half of the butter for coconut oil for the topping. i'll come back to this one!