Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is delicious. most people do not put bananas in their upside down cake, but everyone I know seems to just love it. it also, makes a beautiful presentation at Christmas time, if you use red and green maraschino cherries.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks
- 3 -4 sliced round bananas
- 1 (8 ounce) jar maraschino cherries (halved or whole)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Melt 1/2 cup butter, in a baking dish in the oven.
- Add brown sugar with the butter.
- After brown sugar blends into the butter, remove from the oven.
- Arrange drained pineapple chunks and banana slices in a checker-board fashion in the baking dish.
- Put maraschino cherries in between the pineapple and bananas.
- Also add some pecans, chopped if desired.
- Mix batter for a 2-layer (18. 25 oz.) cake and pour over all in the dish.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F, 40-50 minutes.
- Remove from dish to cool.
- I used a 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish.
Loved it! I used a white cake mix, substituted pineapple juice + 3 tablespoons Southern Comfort + water to equal the water called for on the cake mix package. Yummy, moist, and beautiful. Best compliment of all was the utter silence as everyone devoured their slice! P.S. This recipe doesn't include the cake mix, so the numbers are off, you should correct it.