Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I got this from the Sunday paper coupon inserts. This is the perfect dessert for a warm evening when you just want something light. The hardest part was cutting the angel food cake! This is super easy to prepare but looks and tastes great! I hope you enjoy! Note: Cooking time is refrigeration time.
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package instant vanilla flavor pudding and pie filling (I used Jello-o brand, use fat-free, sugar-free if desired)
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
- 1 cup thawed whipped topping (I used Cool Whip brand, use light if desired)
- 1 (10 ounce) packageprepared round angel food cake (I bought a prepared one at Wal-Mart that was 15 oz and it worked out fine)
- 10 small strawberries, for garnish (optional)
- Mix dry pudding mix and pineapple with juice in medium bowl.
- Gently stir in whipped topping.
- Cut cake horizontally into 3 layers.
- Place bottom cake layer, cut side up, on serving plate.
- Spread 1 1/3 cups of pudding mixture onto cake layer.
- Cover with middle cake layer.
- Spread 1 cup of the pudding mixture onto middle cake layer.
- Top with remaining cake layer.
- Spread with remaining pudding mixture.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour or until ready to serve.
- Garnish with strawberries (optional).
- Store in refrigerator.
I have made this exact same recipe from a recipe card that was at the grocery store. This time, instead of layering the angel food cake, I made this dessert in a trifle bowl to take to work for a birthday party. I cut the angel food cake into bite size squares and then layered everything in three layers in the trifle bowl. It was very easy to dish out and everyone loved the lightness of this dessert.
This is a great dessert- low cal and refreshing and I have made it many times. To avoid the slipping that some other reviewers have mentioned, I don't cut the cake in layers. I leave the topping in a bowl and just spoon it on the sliced cake as I serve it, garnished with a strawberry. This way, leftovers if you ever have any, don't get soggy.
Like someone else said, this recipe didn't work, It never set for me. Maybe it was because I used a 6 serving vanilla pudding mix instead of 4. That was the only thing I did differently.