Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Found this recipe in TV Guide under 12/24/07 Highlights. Recipe is oreiginally from Padma Lakshmi. It is amazing to say the least! Think I just found my new favorite dessert! Can serve with ice cream, if desired, but it is delicious on its own.
- 16 ounces canned pineapple chunks, drained, with juice reserved
- 1 cup fresh pomegranate seeds, free of white pith
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus extra to coat pan
- 2 tablespoons corn flakes, with
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar, added (I substituted Frosted Flakes)
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- In a bowl, mix together the drained pineapple, pomegranate seeds, cinnamon, cloves, and 1 tablespoons each of the 3 sugars. Add 1 tablespoons of the reserved pineapple juice and set this mixture aside.
- In another bowl, cream the flour and butter with 1 tablespoons each of the 3 sugars. Further mash the mixture into a coarse meal with a fork. Add the Frosted Flakes (or corn flakes plus sugar) and mash together.
- Butter a shallow, 6-inch baking dish. Spoon in the fruit mixture and spread evenly. Top with the flour/corn-flake mixture. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil for the last 5-10 minutes to brown the crust. If needed, increase heat to 400 and bake an additional five minutes unti lthe crust is golden brown and bubbly. Let cool for several minutes before serving warm.
Yummy and easy to put together. Doubled the recipe, using 2-20 oz. cans of pineapple chunks. Mixed the fruit and other ingredients directly in an 11x7 baking dish. Hint of cloves and cinnamon was a nice touch but could omit if desired. I have pomegranate trees this is a great way to use some fruit. Had never considered adding the seeds into a fruit cobbler, what a great idea. Plan to add some seeds to my next apple cobbler, too. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
I loved it! I used it as sundae topping with low fat vanilla ice cream ( so I cold say it was guilt free... I'm not telling my hubby any different ..lol) Well be making this again!