Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe comes from Mobile, Alabama via my in-laws. Strange combination? Yes. But it makes a sweet surprise for your holiday table or family dinner. For the cheese crackers use brands such as Cheese-Its or Cheese Nips.
- 2 (20 ounce) cans pineapple chunks, drain and reserve juice
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup cheese crackers, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine flour and sugar, then add 6 tablespoons of reserved pineapple juice.
- Add butter, cheese and pineapple. Mix until combined.
- Pour into 13x9 casserole dish.
- Bake 20 minutes at 350.
- Top with crackers.
- Reduce heat to 250 degrees and bake an additional 20-30 minutes.
Unusual, and always enjoyed. I cut the sugar back to 1/2 cup, though!
I enjoy making holiday-style dishes throughout the year, as much because I can enjoy 'em then as because that gives me an opportunity to try 'em out & if I like 'em I cam have 'em again during the holidays! As with this recipe! It's definitely a winner in my book & I will be making it again, for sure! Although I did use unsalted butter (a minor thing, I thought) I pretty much followed the recipe & really enjoyed the cheese & pineapple combo! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in the current Veggie Swap]