Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
From the November 16, 2004 Sydney Morning Herald. Serve with thick cream.
- 100 g brown sugar
- 60 g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 -3 slices pineapple, peeled and cut 1cm thick
- 150 g self-raising flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 110 g caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- Combine brown sugar and butter in a heavy-based saucepan and stir over low heat until well combined and smooth.
- Remove from heat and pour into a well-greased, round, 20cm cake tin, spreading evenly.
- Arrange pineapple pieces on top of brown sugar mixture.
- Sift flour, bicarbonate of soda and cardamom into a mixing bowl. Add caster sugar, stir and make a well in the centre.
- Melt butter with golden syrup, then pour into the well with eggs and milk.
- Beat thoroughly with a wooden spoon.
- Pour mixture over pineapple pieces and bake at 175C for about 1 hour or until a cake skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Cover with foil if cake browns before it is cooked through.
- Stand in tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a plate.
Delicious recipe! The cardamom really compliments the pinapple. This was easy to make and was a hit! Thanks for posting.