Recipe by bearhouse5
This cake is gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free and vegan !
Top Review by magpie diner
I've been wanting to try this for a long time and glad I finally found an occassion to do so. It's really easy to make and I love the simple "icing". I served to family on Mother's Day and everyone enjoyed it. I found it pretty dense, and I do bake gluten free from time to time, and always vegan, so I know that you can't expect the same as traditional cakes....it's not a bad thing, just different. I'm wondering if more silken tofu might have helped it to rise more. I found the cake part was perfectly sweet, but added a few extra tbsp of icing sugar to the cream cheez icing...I also added a touch of turmeric for colour, it was really pretty!
- 4 teaspoons vegan egg replacer powder
- 1⁄4 cup pineapple juice
- 1⁄4 cup silken tofu
- 2⁄3 cup oil
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1⁄2 cup drained crushed pineapple
- 1 1⁄4 cups caster sugar (superfine granulated sugar)
- 1 1⁄3 cups brown rice flour (or white rice flour)
- 2⁄3 cup potato starch
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 4 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 8 ounces vegan cream cheese (1 tub Toffuti)
- 1⁄4 cup icing sugar (confectioners or powdered sugar)
- 1⁄2 cup soymilk powder
- 1 small mango, thinly sliced (or tinned mango or paw paw or pineapple, sliced thinly)
- glace pineapple, to decorate (optional, or mango slices or banana slices soaked in lemon juice)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 180C (350F).
- Grease and line two 9" (23 cm) round cake pans and dust the sides with rice flour.
- Whisk egg replacer powder and pineapple juice together until fluffy.
- Add silken tofu and whisk until smooth.
- Add oil and whisk again. Set aside.
- Mix together mashed bananas, crushed pineapple and caster sugar.
- Sift together brown rice flour (or white rice flour), potato starch, xanthan gum, baking powder and cinnamon.
- Add to banana, pineapple and sugar and mix together.
- Add egg replacer, juice and oil mixture. Mix well.
- Pour evenly into two prepared pans. Bake for 35 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Leave in to cool in tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Icing : Beat together cream cheese, soy milk powder and icing sugar until light and fluffly. Spread 1/3 of icing on first cake. Arrange the mango slices (or paw paw or pineapple) over the icing. Place 2nd cake on top. Ice the top with remaining icing. Decorate with pieces of glace pineapple (or mango slices and/or banana slices), if desired.