A tall and tropical cake made with pineapple curd, and orange and vanilla frostings. From Cook's Country Magazine
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 cups buttercream frosting (your favorite recipe)
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, grated
- 2 teaspoons orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 (9 inch) angel food cake
- 2 (15 ounce) cans mandarin orange sections (drained and cut in half lenthwise)
- 2 cups sweetened coconut, toasted
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple slices, drained and cut into half moons
- 1For the pineapple curd:.
- 2Bring pineapple juice to boil in saucepan over medium heat.
- 3Whisk eggs, yolk, and sugar in medium bowl.
- 4Whisking constantly, slowly pour hot juice into egg mixture, then return mixture to saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, until thick enough to cling to spoon, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- 5Off heat, stir in butter and a pinch of salt, then strain into a small bowl. Cover surface directly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until thickened, about 1 hour.
- 6For the orange frosting:.
- 7Transfer 1 cup of vanilla frosting to a small bowl. Stir in orange zest and juice.
- 8To assemble:.
- 9Cut cake horizontally into 4 even layers.
- 10Place bottom layer on platter. Spread 1/2 cup of orange frosting over cake and top with 20 orange slices.
- 11Place next layer on top of oranges and spread with pineapple curd.
- 12Top with next layer and spread with remaining orange frosting and 20 more orange slices.
- 13Finish with top cake layer and coat top and sides of cake with vanilla frosting. Press toasted coconut into sides and decorate top with with orange and pineapple slices.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pineapple Ambrosia Cake
Serving Size: 1 (203 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 308.1
- Calories from Fat 65
- Total Fat 7.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 56.0 mg
- Sodium 289.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 43.3 g
- Protein 5.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: