Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 min
Cook 1 min
A tall and tropical cake made with pineapple curd, and orange and vanilla frostings. From Cook's Country Magazine
- 1⁄4 cup pineapple juice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 cups buttercream frosting (your favorite recipe)
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, grated
- 2 teaspoons orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 (9 inch) angel food cake
- 2 (15 ounce) cans mandarin orange sections (drained and cut in half lenthwise)
- 2 cups sweetened coconut, toasted
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple slices, drained and cut into half moons
- For the pineapple curd:.
- Bring pineapple juice to boil in saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk eggs, yolk, and sugar in medium bowl.
- Whisking constantly, slowly pour hot juice into egg mixture, then return mixture to saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, until thick enough to cling to spoon, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Off heat, stir in butter and a pinch of salt, then strain into a small bowl. Cover surface directly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until thickened, about 1 hour.
- For the orange frosting:.
- Transfer 1 cup of vanilla frosting to a small bowl. Stir in orange zest and juice.
- To assemble:.
- Cut cake horizontally into 4 even layers.
- Place bottom layer on platter. Spread 1/2 cup of orange frosting over cake and top with 20 orange slices.
- Place next layer on top of oranges and spread with pineapple curd.
- Top with next layer and spread with remaining orange frosting and 20 more orange slices.
- Finish with top cake layer and coat top and sides of cake with vanilla frosting. Press toasted coconut into sides and decorate top with with orange and pineapple slices.
Oh man, I am in love. I don't know what the mandarin oranges would've done for this cake because I didn't have any, and I also used whipped cream instead of frosting because I hate frosting, but everything else was by the book, and it was absolutely spectacular. My husband will be hounding me every Sunday for the next six months to make this again.