5 hrs 30 mins
From The Cuisine of California. Goes well with stews. Cook time includes rising and baking time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 ounce dry active yeast
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup rye flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1Sprinkle yeast over lukewarm water in a small bowl.
- 2Let stand 10 minutes, then add wine and oil.
- 3In a large bowl, mix all 3 flours and salt.
- 4Reserve 1 cup of the flour mixture and set aside.
- 5Pour the yeasty water over the remaining flour and knead with an electric mixer that has a dough hook attachment.
- 6Gradually add the reserved 1 cup flour, waiting until added flour is absorbed before putting in more.
- 7Knead with dough hook on low about 8 minutes, or until dough is elastic and smooth.
- 8Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for a few minutes.
- 9Add a tablespoon of water if the dough is dry, 1 to 2 tablespoons of flour if the dough is too sticky.
- 10Place the dough in an oiled bowl and turn to coat.
- 11Cover with a damp clean washcloth and let rise in a warm place for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- 12Punch down the dough and knead it again, on a lightly floured surface.
- 13Shape into a smooth round loaf.
- 14For the glaze, beat the yolks with the milk or cream and brush over all sides of the loaf.
- 15Roll the loaf in the pine nuts until evenly coated.
- 16Place on a greased baking sheet and cover with a damp cloth until nearly doubled in size.
- 17Preheat oven to 350.
- 18Place a pan full of water on the bottom rack of the oven.
- 19With a sharp knife, cut an"X" into the top of the loaf.
- 20Bake for 45 minutes.
- 21Loaf should sound hollow when tapped on bottom, this will indicate that it is done.
- 22Let cool on a rack and serve at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pine Nut Wheat Bread With Olive Oil
Serving Size: 1 (97 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 299.9
- Calories from Fat 124
- Total Fat 13.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 23.8 mg
- Sodium 587.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 7.6 g