Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
From The Cuisine of California. Goes well with stews. Cook time includes rising and baking time.
Make and share this Pine Nut Wheat Bread With Olive Oil recipe from Food.com.
- Sprinkle yeast over lukewarm water in a small bowl.
- Let stand 10 minutes, then add wine and oil.
- In a large bowl, mix all 3 flours and salt.
- Reserve 1 cup of the flour mixture and set aside.
- Pour the yeasty water over the remaining flour and knead with an electric mixer that has a dough hook attachment.
- Gradually add the reserved 1 cup flour, waiting until added flour is absorbed before putting in more.
- Knead with dough hook on low about 8 minutes, or until dough is elastic and smooth.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for a few minutes.
- Add a tablespoon of water if the dough is dry, 1 to 2 tablespoons of flour if the dough is too sticky.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl and turn to coat.
- Cover with a damp clean washcloth and let rise in a warm place for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Punch down the dough and knead it again, on a lightly floured surface.
- Shape into a smooth round loaf.
- For the glaze, beat the yolks with the milk or cream and brush over all sides of the loaf.
- Roll the loaf in the pine nuts until evenly coated.
- Place on a greased baking sheet and cover with a damp cloth until nearly doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place a pan full of water on the bottom rack of the oven.
- With a sharp knife, cut an"X" into the top of the loaf.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Loaf should sound hollow when tapped on bottom, this will indicate that it is done.
- Let cool on a rack and serve at room temperature.