Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
This recipe is from Veganomicon, and it is one of the steps in Isa's vegan version of Moussaka. However, this wonderful creamy blend is a great vegan substitute for Bechamel sauce. I particularly like to add this to baked pasta dishes, vegan lasagnas, or add a bit to make a regular tomato marinara sauce rich and creamy!
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 lb silken tofu
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- nutmeg, to taste
- salt and white pepper, to taste
- Blend pine nuts and lemon juice in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Add silken tofu, cornstarch, garlic, a pinch of nutmeg, salt and white pepper to taste, and pulse to combine.
- Use in place of bechamel to add creaminess to tomato sauces for baked pasta dishes!
I have used this recipe since I bought Veganomicon a couple years ago, and I LOVE this!!! I always use in on Baked Rigatoni (or Ziti), and it is seriously amazing!