Top Review by Mia in Germany
Rita, this is a FANTASTIC recipe!!! The pine nuts have a unique flavour which I like very much, and the combination of this spongy, not too sweet cake with the slightly tart fruit is to melt away! I made it gluten free with a mix of rice flour and arrowroot starch instead of flour, and I omitted 1 egg because I had to use rice syrup as a sweetener, but this worked great. Also I didn't make one cake but 12 pretty cupcakes which only took 20 minutes to bake. For DH I made the poached cherries and caramel sauce, for myself I made something similar with cranberries :D This will be a keeper for sure, thanks for posting! Made for Think Pink October 2009.
- 1 1⁄3 cups pine nuts
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 large eggs (separated)
- 1⁄2 cup superfine sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- whipped cream
- prepared caramel sauce (Caramel Sauce)
- cherries, poached (Cerises PochÃƒ es Cherries Poached in Vanilla - Cerises Pochées)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Butter a 10" springform pan.
- In food processor combine nuts, flour and baking powder. Pulse to chop nuts finely.
- In large bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar together till light add vanilla and mix inches.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff.
- Fold whites into yolk mixture.
- Fold in nut mixture.
- Spoon into cake pan.
- Bake 30 minutes until golden.
- Top with garnishes of choice.