- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery (or sliced mushrooms)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup barley
- 1⁄3 cup chopped parsley
- 2 -3 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute celery or mushrooms and onion in margarine until soft.
- Add barley and cook until golden.
- In a 2 quart casserole, combine barley mixture, parsley and 1 cup chicken broth.
- Bake covered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Stir in pine nuts and 1 cup chicken broth.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes or until barley is tender.
- If necessary, add more broth.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.