Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
The flavor of this is nothing short of amazing.
- 1 can of swanson canned chicken (or course you can double the recipe if you have more than 4 people)
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄3 cup pine nuts
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese (I found a swiss & gruyere blend!) or 1 cup monterey jack cheese (I found a swiss & gruyere blend!)
- salt and pepper
- 1 loaf of fresh ciabatta
- tomatoes & lettuce (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed or minced)
- Begin by mixing the last four ingredients. This mixture is what you will brush on the Ciabatta bread slices. In small bowl, measure olive oil, add spices and crush garlic. Blend well and let sit.
- In a separate large bowl, drain and add chicken, cranberries, pine nuts, mayo, cheese, salt and pepper. Mix well and refrigerate.
- Heat large skillet or griddle to medium.
- Slice Ciabatta bread into 1/4 inch slices. Liberally brush or spoon olive oil mixture on each slice and place this side down on griddle. Cook until light brown and slightly crispy.
- For your picnic, you can bring the cooled bread slices in a plastic bag, and the chicken salad mixture in a disposable container. It’s quick and easy to make the sandwiches right on the spot! When assembling the sandwiches, place the filling on the toasted sides of the bread, so the outside of the sandwich will be soft.
We loved this with just a few minor changes. I left out the pine nuts and added some chopped red onion and used cheddar cheese as that was what I had. It was perfect. Absolutely loved the cranberries in this. It is excellent served on crackers but outstanding served on the ciabatta bread with the herb mixture. I can't imagine using lettuce and tomatoes on this, especially with the cranberries. I'll be making this one again for sure. Thanks for sharing. Made for Spring PAC 2013
Very good, but a little boring.Next time I will add some dry mustard, cilantro and toast the pine nuts a bit, though. I went with all the trimmings! Thanks for posting! ade for Fall PAC 2012