Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A recipe from FC that I have yet to try.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box pineapple cake mix or 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box banana cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup lemon yogurt (from two 6 ounce containers)
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons rum extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups marshmallow cream
- 2 (8 ounce) cans crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 2⁄3 cup maraschino cherry
- 1⁄4 cup coconut, toasted for garnish, if desired (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Coat 13x9" baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat cake mix, oil, yogurt, and eggs on low for 30 seconds.
- Increase speed to medium-high and beat for 2 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl after 1 minute.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove cake from pan and cool on rack completely.
- Trim off about 1" from edges and reserve for snacking. Cut cake into 1" cubes.
- In a large bowl, beat heavy cream and rum extract until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in the marshmallow cream; fold in crushed pineapple with its juice.
- Place half of the cake cubes in a 14-16 cup trifle dish; gently press to compact.
- Sprinkle half of the coconut and scatter half of the cherries over cubes.
- Spoon half of the whipped cream mixture evenly over cubes. Repeat layering.
- Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Garnish with toasted coconut, if desired, before serving.
I cut this recipe from Family Circle and made it for friends. I was looking on zaar to see if I should post it, and saw your posting. Let me say that, This is DELICIOUS! Very lovely presentation. Anyone who loves dessert or who loves pina coladas will love this. Made as directed and glad I did. Thanks for posting! You gotta try this dessert!