1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Sweet tamales, good for breakfast!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup dried banana pieces
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 22 corn husks, soaked
- 2 cups fresh pineapple chunks
- 1/2 cup fruit juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup whipped cream (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
Masa for Sweet Tamales
- 1Use a food processor to finely chop the dried banana; combine the banana, almonds and coconut in a bowl.
- 2Use 2 husks to make strips for tying the tamales.
- 3Take about 1 cup of the pineapple and puree it with the fruit juice and brown sugar.
- 4Cream the shortening and sugar.
- 5In a separate bowl, mix together the masa and salt.
- 6Alternately add the masa and juice to the creamed shortening to make a firm dough; beat in the baking powder last.
- 7Assembly: Spread 1 tablespoon filling in the center of a husk; sprinkle 1 to 2 teaspoons of the banana/almond mixture over the dough and press a pineapple chunk into the dough.
- 8Spread another tablespoon of the dough over the the filling and fold and tie the tamale.
- 9Steam for about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- 10To Serve: Open the tamale and top with sauce, whipped cream, and lime zest.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pina Colada Tamales
Serving Size: 1 (894 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 164.2
- Calories from Fat 75
- Total Fat 8.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 103.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 9.9 g
- Protein 1.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried banana pieces