Recipe by Nado2003
I'm trying all different combinations of flavors to steel cut oatmeal. I use boiling water in the recipe to cut down on rice cooker time. This recipe caused my daughter to say "Mom, you should start an oatmeal restaurant." Some of us are allergic to coconut and nuts so we did not add those items during cooking, but served the non-nuts eaters and then incorporate the coconut after the fact, then turned rice cooker on for a couple of extra minutes to cook.
- 1⁄2 cup steel cut oats
- 1 1⁄2 cups water (boiling hot)
- 1 apple (optional, skin on, chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup dried pineapple (small pieces)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon butter (optional)
- 2 tablespoons coconut (dry shredded)
- soymilk, to taste (optional)
- slivered almonds, to taste (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put all ingredients except soy milk and almond into the rice cooker, give it a stir to mix. Turn on and let it cook.
- Stove top: put all except soy milk and almond in a pot, bring to a boil, then simmer for another 20 minutes, stirring occassionally to keep from sticking.
- Serve with soy milk and almond slivers on the side for personal preference. I prefer my oatmeal runny and the kids like it thick.