Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Another recipe I found in Kraft Food and Family. Very easy and light - good for Summer!
Make and share this Pina Colada Shrimp and Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb large shrimp, cleaned, deveined
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained
- 2 cups uncooked minute rice white rice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup baker's flaked coconut, toasted
- 1 green onion, sliced
- Cook and stir shrimp in hot oil in large skillet on medium-high eat 4 minutes - until almost cooked through. Add pineapple juice and pineapple chunks; bring to boil. Stir in rice and coconut milk; cover. Remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes. (if all liquid has not been absorbed, cook on low heat 2 additional minutes or until liquid is absorbed). Fluff with fork. Spoon onto serving platter; sprinkle with coconut and green onion.
I've made this dish several times with a few changes. First of all, I've added sugar snap peas. It is best to cook them first unless you want them to have crunch. Second, I use Jasmine rice (in my rice cooker) instead of minute rice. Lastly, I use Curry Powder.... and quite a bit of it too! I add about 1 TSP of Curry powder to the oil while it's heating up. I cook the shrimp then add in the pineapple juice, pinapple chunks, coconut milk and sugar snap peas. I usually add extra Curry powder, while it simmers (don't know exactly how much... just sprinkle it over). I don't bother toasting my coconut flakes and I slice a couple of green onions. Once my rice is done, I put it on a plate and spoon the Pina Colada Shrimp & juice over the rice. Top it off with the coconut flakes, green onions and extra Curry powder. YUM!!