Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 mins
This is out of a cookbook called "Patio Daddy-O" 50's recipes with a 90's twist...If you plan to serve this with rice, try cooking the grains in coconut milk instead of water...I can see using my George Foreman grill or any outside grill to cook the shrimp...cooking time does not include marinating time...hope you enjoy!
- 1 1⁄4 lbs shrimp (about 36 medium-large )
- 1 cup coconut milk, canned
- 6 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 3 limes)
- 1 cup pineapple juice, canned
- 1⁄2 cup dark rum
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- black pepper
- steamed rice (optional)
- Peel the shrimp and devein them under running water.
- In a medium bowl, combine all the remaining ingredients except the rice.
- Add the shrimp, cover, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 5 hours (if it sits longer than this the lime juice will "cook' the shrimp).
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the shrimp from the marinade and thread on metal skewers.
- Prepare a fire in a charcoal grill.
- When the coals are medium hot, place the skewers on the cooking rack and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until the shrimp turn pink.
- Serve with steamed rice, if you like.
Oh my, this is almost as good as an actual visit to the islands! The pineapple, lime and dark rum are really outstanding. Had to use the gas grill but you just have to use what you have right?. I added some lime juice to the rice also and it was one delicious dinner with a strawberry and coconut salad on the side. :D