Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Delicious rice pudding made all in one pot!
- 1 cup white rice (uncooked, but rinsed in a strainer)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- pineapple juice (from reserve below)
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half cream
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 extra large egg, beaten
- 10 ounces unsweetened crushed canned pineapple, drained but reserve liquid
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons coconut rum
- 1 teaspoon rum extract (or vanilla extract)
- Preheat oven to 250°F Place rice, coconut milk, water, and juices in a large (teflon preferred) pot that is oven friendly. Cook on high until boiling, then reduce heat to low and let simmer 15 minutes. Remove from stovetop and let stand 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, and half-and-half and mix well. Stir in cornstarch, eggs, pineapple, coconut, and rum. Add to the pot with rice and stir, mixing well. Cover and bake on low for 2-2 1/2 hours.
I do like it when I can make a recipe that includes brandy or rum, with a cooking time that will burn off the alcohol, so this one was just great! We really enjoyed the flavor combo of coconut & pineapple! And since the cooking time came into question, I can say that my cooking time was just a little shy of 2 1/2 hours, & we were very satisfied with the resulting pudding! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
This was a fantastic dessert for us last night, the only reason this is getting 4 stars and not 5 is due to the fact that after cooking for 2 hours it was definately done, I think 3 would have burnt it, though it could be my oven. But all in all wonderful recipe, great moistness, and flavors. Thank Bleu for yet another great recipe..