Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Reminiscent of a tropical holiday, this breakfast cereal also makes a nie lunch or afternoon snack. Serve hot or cold. From Quinoa 365. You may wish to add 1/4 cup of unsweetened toasted coconut for a different and crunchy texture... or, a sliced banana, for more tropical taste!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 (14 ounce) can light coconut milk
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- TIP: Rinse the quinoa well; I use a fine mesh strainer - this removes any remaining natural coating, which has a slightly bitter flavour. If you have time, try recipe #16399, toasted quinoa, to prep your quinoa - it makes a world of difference!
- In a medium saucepan, bring quinoa and coconut milk to boil. Cover, reduce to low, and cook for 10 minutes. Turn off heat and leave the covered saucepan on the burner for an additional 6 minutes.
- Drain the pineapple, reserving the juice. Stir 1/2 cup of the juice into the saucepan. Add the sugar and vanilla and mix well. Stir in the crushed pineapple, and serve. Store in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to 2 days.
the flavor for this quinoa is OUTSTANDING...but the texture was not. I cooked exactly per directions and could not get the quinoa to cook the way it does in water. I have no idea what I did wrong, but it was just soooo crunchy. I've cooked quinoa before and had it open up beautifully.
Sorry, Katzen but I didn't like the flavor combination of quinoa and pineapple. My apologies.
I didn't care for this. It sounded like it would be really delicious but the flavour wasn't strong enough for me. I didn't like the combination of the quinoa with pineapple.