Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
No, it's not too sweet! It is easy & delicious! Made for RSC Lucky #13. This does make quite a bit but it didn't last long in our family. It can be a side dish or served under a curry dish.
- 20 ounces pineapple chunks in juice, drained, juice & pineapple reserved separately
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 cup water, approximately
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 cups garbanzo beans, cooked (or 1 15oz can, rinsed & drained)
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, slivered
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Combine reserved pineapple juice, coconut milk & 1c water or more to equal 3 1/2c liquid.
- Combine liquid with basmati, salt, cinnamon & cardamom. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low & cook, covered, 10 minutes.
- Fluff rice & stir in pineapple chunks, garbanzo beans, almonds, raisins & cilantro. Cover & let sit 10 minutes. Fluff again & serve.
We loved this rice dish. The subtle hint of the cinnamon and cardamom made it different than any pilaf I've made, and the other ingredients were creative and went well together. It was a pretty dish, too! Because of all the ingredients it does make a lot, and it will get eaten here! Thanks, Elmotoo, you had your groove on when you created this dish! ZWT9
This was great and easy to do! I left out the beans cause we're not too crazy about them. I added more raisins instead. I was surprised at how good this was. It's very different from the things I usually make. Thanks, Elmotoo! Made for ZWT5 for the Kitchen Witches.
This is a creative recipe that was well worth trying. I don't usually care for raisins, but I thought the raisins really worked well in this dish, especially contrasted with the nutty flavor of the almond slivers. The title was Pina Colada Pilaf, but I didn't think it tasted all that much like a pina colada dish. I will most likely serve this again though, but without the garbonza beans (but that's only because no one in my family likes them). All in all, this is a great rice dish. Thanks, Chef!