Prep 36 hrs
Cook 0 mins
I made this up this weekend (Memorial Day weekend) because I was in the mood for experimentation, using my newly acquired extract collection, and for the taste of pina coladas. Feel free to adjust extracts to taste or even use the real things in the appropriate substitution amounts ;) I'm sure you can skip straight to step 7 if you wish; omitting the 3 cups water and first listed extract amounts. *Maybe try freezing it and bleding into a smoothie later or making sorbet (not a bad idea...)
- 1 whole watermelon (any size)
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 3 cups water
- 1 (20 -40 ounce) can pineapple chunks in juice
- 1 -2 teaspoon coconut extract (1 per can pineapple)
- 1 -2 teaspoon rum extract (1 per can pineapple)
- Using an apple corer, cut a whole in the watermelon.
- Fit the funnel snugly inside.
- Mix the first listed extracts and 3 cups water.
- Pour enough to fill the funnel cup.
- Keep checking on it every so often and refill funnel when necessary.
- Depending on the size of your watermelon (mine was an extra large bowling ball, so it was small for a watermelon), the absorbtion time will vary.
- Mine took roughly 24 hours for all the liquid to be used and absorbed.
- Once ready, cut melon however you wish (be it cubed, sliced, melon balls, etc).
- *Keepingmelon juice* Open the can (s) of pineapple.
- Put 1 tsp of each extract in each can.
- Pour the fruit with juices in melon bowl.