Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
I have been chairman of a Christmas Cookie Sale at my church for the past few years and we make literally 20 to 30 thousand cookies to sell. I am always on the look-out for new recipes and this is one of them.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 1⁄3 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup margarine
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped for garnish
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped dried pineapple
- 1⁄2 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 5 teaspoons half-and-half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Prepare crumb mixture and set aside 1 cup for topping of bars. Press the remaining crumb mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 13x9 baking pan.
- In a medium saucepan combine the pineapple, macadamia nuts, sugar, cornstarch and water and cook until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and stir in the coconut.
- Pour over the crust. To the reserved crumb mixture add 1 cup chopped walnuts and sprinkle over the fruit mixture pressing with fingers lightly so that it sticks to.
- the filling. Bake the bars for 25 minutes at 350*.
- Cool well. Mix frosting ingredients and drizzle over the cool bars.
When this was baked I managed to get 32 bars from a 13"x9" baking pan, not a bad size for a bar, but not the 48 indicated, either! Still the bars themselves are very tasty & make a nice addition to my cookie sale! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick-A-Chef]