Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Awesome twist on the cream puff!! 8) Yum!
- 1 (2 3/4 ounce) box vanilla pudding mix (not instant)
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, well-drained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 cup water
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 6 tablespoons sweetened flaked coconut
- Cook pudding as directed, using the milk. Place in medium bowl; cover surface with plastic wrap.
- Chill at least 4 hours.
- When cool, fold in the coconut and drained pineapple. Add rum extract.
- Chill until ready to be used.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Heat water, butter, salt and sugar in heavy, medium saucepan over medium-low heat until butter melts.
- Remove from heat; stir in flour all at once, beating using a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Return to heat. Stir constantly until dough leaves sides of pan, forming smooth mass (dough should look slightly dry), approximately 12-15 minutes; remove from heat.
- Make well in center of dough; add 1 egg at a time, beating vigorously with wooden spoon until paste has absorbed all liquid and reformed into smooth mass before adding next egg.
- Measure 1/4 cup of dough; place in mound on a lightly buttered baking sheet.
- Repeat, making 6 mounds. Top each with 1 tablespoon of remaining dough.
- Bake until puffed and golden, 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- With sharp knife, make a small slit in each where large bottom connects with smaller top.
- Bake 10 minutes, then allow to cool on racks.
- Cut tops of cream puffs off with serrated knife.
- Pull out any moist dough inside and fill each with the pudding mixture; replace the tops.
- Next, combine confectioners' sugar and the water in bowl of electric mixer; beat until smooth.
- Drizzle the icing over tops of the puffs and sprinkle with the coconut.