Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
this is one I have had for many years, give it a try...
- 1⁄3 cup melted butter
- 1 3⁄4 cups crushed social tea biscuits or 1 3⁄4 cups graham wafers
- 16 ounces cream cheese
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- 2⁄3 cup plain yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons creamed coconut
- 1⁄3 cup white rum or 1⁄3 cup coconut rum
- 1 (20 ounce) candrained pineapple rings
- 6 maraschino cherries, coarsely chopped
- 2 large egg whites, only
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons shredded coconut
- decorate with some maraschino cherry, halves if desired
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9 inch spring form pan.
- Melt butter in a saucepot and remove from heat.
- Add crumbs stir in well.
- Press onto bottom of prepared pan.
- Set aside.
- Filling: Beat the cream cheese until soft.
- Add in the sour cream and yogurt and eggs beat until smooth.
- Beat in the sugar and flour.
- Stir in the creamed coconut and the rum.
- Cut three of the pineapple rings into even sized pieces.
- Stir the pineapple into the cheese mixture.
- Stir in the 6 chopped cherries, combine well.
- Spoon the filling into the prepared crust.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until set.
- Topping: Beat the egg whites with the sugar until soft peaks form.
- Fold in the shredded coconut.
- Mound mixture over the cheesecake.
- Cut remaining pineapple rings into wedges.
- Dot the cheesecake with the pineapple wedges and the cherries over the top of the meringue.
- Place back into the oven for 8 to 12 minutes, until GOLDEN Brown-- Remove let cool room temperature.
This was pretty good, but it did not have another coconut flavor for me as is so I added coconut extract to it and it helped, but I think that if it didn't have the extract it wouldn't taste much like coconut at all. Now, it was a wonderful recipe that everyone at my Fiance's work loved, so I do recommend it, but I recommend too to add the coconut extract. Thank you for the recipe!
Made this with light ingredients for the 'Zaar World Tour challenge. I subbed fat free sour cream and yogurt, used Eggbeaters for the eggs, and reduced fat cream cheese. I also used pretzels for the crust and used coconut extract instead of shredded coconut. I wouldn't recommend anyone else trying this. I did manage to get the fat percentage under 25% but at the expense of taste and texture. I'm sure it would be just great as written though! Thanks andypandy!