Prep 45 mins
Cook 25 mins
Oh, the weather outside is frightful, But the kitchen smells delightful, I'm cooking something tropical, Let it snow, Let it Snow, Let it snow This is my son's favorite birthday cake and his birthday is in December, which is not a month you usually make a tropical summer dessert in. Which is why like us, you may just get the urge to go hang ten in your front yard in the middle of winter.. or not.
- 1 box yellow butter recipe cake mix
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges (undrained)
- 1 cup shredded coconut (you'll need just a little extra to sprinkle on top of cake too)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 (12 ounce) container Cool Whip
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed pineapple (undrained)
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) box instant vanilla pudding
- For cake, preheat oven to 350° F.
- Mix all ingredients well.
- Pour batter equally into 3 greased and floured round cake pans.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Cool and Frost.
- For Frosting: Mix dry pudding mix and pineapple, then add cool whip.
- Frost cooled cake, and sprinkle with coconut and refrigerate until serving.
- Warning, since the frosting has cool whip in it, exposure to heat will make it runny.
How delicious! This was very simple and quick to put together and had an outstanding result. I made mine in an oblong cake pan and put all the topping on top. Very nice! Thanks for posting!
ok picture this. Last nite we had friends over to grill 2 inch thick t-bones with potatoes and grilled jalapeno poppers! We were all on on covered deck and the tem was about 102 degrees. We had all just come in from the pool and were finishing a great dinner when someone asked what was for desert. I smiled and went to the fridge and pulled out this cake that I made the nite before. I served this around to the group the first ones that had been served where finishing their plate going for another piece!!Everyone commented on how refreshing it was. The whole cake was gone in 30 minutes!!! Followed thr recipe and wouldn't change a thing. I would give 10 stars if I could!!!!!!!
This was pretty tasty - i LOOVED the frostings - so light and and delish! But the cake seemed to be lacking a bit - not very flavorful. I'm thinking that I'll be using this frosting on the pina coloda cake from the Cake Mix Dr. book. It calls for coconut milk, pineapple, etc...