Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
Easy to make...even easier to devour! NOTE: Time includes refrigeration before serving
- 18 1⁄4 ounces pineapple cake mix (it's one regular sized box. Duncan Hines makes a good one, or you can substitute yellow cake mix)
- 1 -3 egg (according to cake mix box directions)
- 1⁄2 cup butter (according to cake mix box directions) or 1⁄2 cup oil (according to cake mix box directions)
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip Free
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded coconut
- Bake cake according to directions in 9x13" baking dish or bundt pan.
- Mix coconut milk and condensed milk together.
- When cake is fully baked, use wooden spoon handle to poke holes in top of cake.
- Pour milk mixture in holes & on top of cake.
- Drain crushed pineapple & reserve liquid. Spread crushed pineapple on top of cake and drizzle with some of the liquid.
- Let cake cool.
- Mix 1 1/4 c coconut and cool whip together. Spread on top of cake and sprinkle with 1/4 c shredded coconut.
- Refrigerate 2-3 hours before serving.
As I looked for a Pina Colada cake I wondered why no one was using a pineapple cake mix to start with. I was coming to the end of my search and trying to formulate a recipe in my mind using what I had found and a pineapple cake mix when there you were, I don't know about anybody else, but, it just seems like common sense to start out with predominant ingredient to begin with. a wonderful cake, thank you so much for sharing, have added to my "Keeper" file....Lydia