Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Posted for love4culinary. This tweaked tropical bread pudding is made easy in a crock pot. Serve with Grand Marnier Sauce Grand Marnier Sauce or pineapple ice cream.
- 12 ounces pineapple juice
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon lime zest or 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup cream of coconut
- 6 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup light rum (or pineapple flavored works good in this)
- 1 cup raisins (or dried fruit of choice like dried cherries apricots, blueberries)
- 8 ounces crushed pineapple in juice
- 1 lb bread, 1 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup coconut (can be mixed into the custard mixture) (optional)
- In blender or food processor, fitted with a metal blade, combine all the custard ingredients. Set aside.
- Combine raisins and crushed pineapple (and the juice); set aside.
- Place about 1/3 of bread cubes in slow cooker, place 1/3 of raisin/pineapple mixtures. Repeat 2 more times. Then pour the custard mixture over all. pressing so all the bread soaks in the custard mixture.
- top with butter, cinnamon.
- Cover and cook on LOW 6 hours.
- Place it in a well buttered 9 by 13 casserole.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour.
- Serve hot with recipe #52907 or pineapple ice cream.
This was pretty good, but it seemed like something was missing. It was easy to put together, and although I halved the recipe for just the 2 of us, it still made a big batch. I used Captain Morgan spiced Rum, which added a nice tough. I'm not sure if that is considered a light rum, but we love it.