Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Enjoy a taste of the Mediterranean with this simple and colourful red pepper spread.
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ounce white bread, crusts removed
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- crusty bread, toasted, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- Place the peppers on a roasting tray, drizzle over the olive oil, place in the oven and roast for 35-40 minutes or until the peppers have slightly blackened, turning them occasionally.
- Place the peppers in a large plastic food bag, seal and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, soak the bread in a little cold water, then drain and squeeze out excess moisture.
- Remove the peppers from the bag, reserving any of the juices.
- Peel the peppers, halve and remove the seeds.
- Place the red pepper halves in a food processor with the bread, garlic, cayenne and the pepper juices and blend until smooth.
- With the motor running, slowly drizzle in the extra-virgin olive oil.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Toast or griddle some slices of crusty bread and spread the paste over it.
*reviewed for Zaar World Tour 3* Easy to make and much cheaper than the store bought paste. Can be made gluten-free with the substitution of gluten free bread. Flavours- sweet and peppery at the same time.