Recipe by SusieQusie
However you spell it, this Paula Deen dish is most unusual! No, her recipe didn't use the low fat ingredients. ;-) But weighing in at 29g fat/serving, the original almost made my heart stop just by reading the recipe.
- 2 -3 ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, divided (or 1 teaspoon dried oregano)
- 1 cup grated sharp low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated low-fat monterey jack cheese
- 1 (3 ounce) package low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup light mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons pimientos, mashed (about 1 - 4 ounce jar, drained)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon grated onion
- 12 slices bread, trimmed of crusts
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel tomatoes & chilies
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Slice tomatoes in the bottom of a buttered, 8-inch X 11-inch baking dish, covering the bottom. Sprinkle with ½ the oregano. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat until smooth the cheeses, mayonnaise, pimientos, garlic powder, pepper & onion.
- Spread bread slices with equal portions of cheese mixture and roll up jelly-roll fashion.
- Arrange bread/cheese rolls in baking dish on top of tomato slices, seam side down. Pour Rotel tomatoes evenly over the rolls. Sprinkle with remaining oregano.
- Bake for 30 minutes.