This is a hearty delicious chicken dish. Make certain to purchase good quality black beans so that they will hold up during cooking. I season this dish using The Best Creole/Cajun Seasoning Mix that I keep in my pantry all the time to add more "zing" to recipes! You will need a large skillet for this recipe, a large electric fypan will work great, or use a Dutch oven. You can increase the chicken legs and thighs and double all other ingredients if desired, do not double the garlic amount though!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 4 chicken thighs
- 4 chicken legs
- salt and black pepper (I use seasoned salt)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 1 -2 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (or use cayenne pepper to taste)
- 1 cup crushed canned tomato
- 1/2 cup bottled pimiento, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans (rinsed and drained, can use less beans)
- 1 cup uncooked converted white rice
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth or 1 3/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat.
- 2Season the chicken with salt and black pepper; add to the pan and brown well on both sides; remove to a plate (you can drain some fat but leave some in the pan).
- 3Add in onion, red bell pepper (if using) and chili flakes; saute stirring with a wooden spoon for 5 minutes.
- 4Add in garlic and cook for another minute.
- 5Add in crushed tomatoes and pimientos, stir scraping bottom with a wooden spoon to dislodge and brown bits in the bottom of the pan.
- 6Add in black beans, rice, broth, chopped parsley and about 1 teaspoon salt (I use Creole seasoning in place of salt) mix to combine, then place the browned chicken (skin-side down) on top in an even layer.
- 7Bring to a boil and simmer until all the liquid is absorbed in the rice (about 12 minutes).
- 8Using tongs turn the chicken skin-side up.
- 9Reduce the heat to low; cover and cook until the chicken and rice are done (about 15 minutes longer).
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pimiento Chicken Skillet With Rice and Black Beans
Serving Size: 1 (614 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 840.6
- Calories from Fat 415
- Total Fat 46.2 g
- Saturated Fat 11.6 g
- Cholesterol 217.5 mg
- Sodium 622.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.6 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 58.5 g