Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is an adopted recipe from the RecipeZaar account. Updated May 30, 2006. I have made some changes to the recipe. I added some flavour and subtracted some sugar. I like it this way.
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup pimiento, diced
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 4 drops hot sauce
- 1 pinch garlic
- In small saucepan, beat egg and sugar until well blended.
- Stir in vinegar and water.
- Cook over low heat until thick. Stir with a wire whisk. Usually takes about 5 minutes. You'll know when it is ready as it will be frothy and a lemon yellow colour.
- Set aside until cool.
- In medium bowl, mix together cheese, pimientos and sauce.
- Stir in cayenne, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce and garlic. Adjust to taste.
- Chill until ready to use.
This has a lovely flavor and is creamy and spreadable. I have made non cook versions of pimento cheese before so decided to try your recipe for something different. I loved the spicy hint (I might up it next time) and slight sweetness. I will definitely make this again! I think it would be great for gatherings ringed with crackers and/ or celery sticks too. Thank you for sharing your recipe! Reviewed for ZWT 3.
I followed the recipe exactly, and it was just right as written. The perfect blend of tang and spice and creamy cheese. Nice appetizer today, and we have left overs for sandwiches tomorrow. I wish I'd had a Ritz to put it on for the picture - LOL.
Made this for lunch today & loved it! My Mom made something similar when I was a kid. The directions for the sauce were RIGHT ON and, for me, the balance of sweet & tangy was perfect. Thanks for sharing!