Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is one of my favorite recipes, adapted from Southern Living 2001 Recipes. The original recipe calls for mayonnaise, but I like to mix with Miracle Whip because I like the tangy taste.
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise (I like Hellman's)
- 3⁄4 cup Miracle Whip
- 1 (4 ounce) jar pimentos, diced,drained
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon onion, finely grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) package sharp cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- 1 (8 ounce) package medium cheddar, finely shredded
- Mix the mayonnaise and Miracle whip together.
- Fold in cheeses, onion, and seasonings.
- This will store for 1 to 1 1/2 weeks, covered (if it lasts that long).
- Good for sandwiches, crackers, celery, etc.
I think that this is a great spread to make for a large group gathering as a snack or appetizer. It has just that slight kick from the cayenne pepper that comes up at the end, but for the most part all the ingredients are something that most people will eat without hesitation. I made it a day ahead of time and I think it tastes even better with a little time to rest before serving. We will see if there is anything left after our labor day get together.
This was very good. I added salt, and extra cayenne and doubled the onion after I'd tasted it as written. I think next time, I will likely just use all sharp Cheddar.
Yummy! I followed the recipe exactly as you have it. I had always bought pimento cheese spread already made from the store, but my husband constantly talked about the way his grandma used to make her own. I thought it would be difficult, but this is an easy recipe to follow and it was a hit in our home! I thought it was better the next day after it chilled and all the ingredients had a chance to combine. Definitely a keeper! Thank you for sharing!