CHEF GRPA's Note:
We had it in the fridge all the time from the deli in Virginia. This spread is so delicious, I think that this is a great spread to make for a large group gathering as a snack or appetizer. It has just that slight kick from the cayenne pepper that comes up at deli.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 226.79 g 'mild yellow cheddar cheese or 226.79 g longhorn' cheese
- 226.79 g aged sharp white cheddar cheese, preferably Vermont 'or New York'
- one 7-ounce can pimiento, with their juice
- 236.59 ml chopped scallion
- 118.29 ml mayonnaise, 'preferably homemade'
- 9.85 ml fresh lemon juice
- 4.92 ml minced garlic
- 14.79 ml Worcestershire sauce (to taste)
- 1.5 ml Tabasco sauce (to taste)
- 2.46 ml fresh ground black pepper
- crackers or raw vegetables, for serving
- 11. Use a meat grinder or the coarse side of a box grater to grate the cheese; for a grinder, use the cutter with large holes. Put the ground or grated cheese in a mixing bowl and add half the juice from the canned pimentos. Dice the pimentos and add them. Add the chopped scallions.
- 22. Combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice, and garlic. Add this to the cheese mixture. Add the Worcestershire, Tabasco, and black pepper and blend well; taste and adjust the seasoning.
- 33. Serve at room temperature as a spread for crisp crackers and raw vegetables or use as a sandwich spread. (Pimento cheese can be tightly sealed and kept for several days in the refrigerator.).
- 4Notes: I learned to make pimento cheese from a southern friend's mom. She doesn't use Worcestershire or garlic but I think they sound like great additions. I think I'll add this to next weekend's football food! I made it a day ahead of time and I think it tastes even better with a little time to rest before serving.
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pimento Cheese Spread
Serving Size: 1 (58 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 293.1
- Calories from Fat 213
- Total Fat 23.7 g
- Saturated Fat 12.7 g
- Cholesterol 63.4 mg
- Sodium 481.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 14.5 g