Recipe by AZPARZYCH
Found online; posting for ZWT 7-Pacific Islands (Indonesia). Recipe states: These sweet potato fritters are a popular snack on the island of Sulawesi in Indonesia. The lightly sweet, browned puffs are a perfect accompaniment to an Indonesian meal.
- 1 lb sweet potato, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons palm sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- oil (for deep frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large, heavy-bottomed pot and cover with water. Set the pot over a medium flame and simmer until cooked all the way through, around 8-12 minutes.
- Drain the cooked sweet potatoes and mash them or put them through a ricer.
- Return the potatoes to the pot and cook over very low heat, stirring constantly, for another 5-6 minutes, until they begin to dry out. Remove the potatoes from heat and allow to cool.
- Beat in all the remaining ingredients except for oil until smooth.
- Add more flour if the batter is too moist to hold its shape on a spoon.
- Heat the oil in a deep fryer or large skillet to 350-360°F.
- Drop large spoonfuls of batter into the oil and brown on both sides, turning occasionally.
- Remove to a plate lined with paper towels and finish with the remaining batter.
- Serve with a sambal or sriracha chile sauce.