1/1 Photo of Pillsbury's Dinner-In-A-Roll
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Looking through my great-grandmother's recipe collection, I came upon a newspaper clipping from 1942. During the war-time rationing of meat, Pillsbury put out a recipe for an all-in-one dinner, utilizing their flour, as a means of making meat go further. I've listed the ingredients and instructions as they are found in the original, putting my notes in brackets. Have fun; it's delicious!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup celery or 1/2 cup carrot, chopped
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup sweet potato, cooked and mashed (or Irish potato)
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning (optional)
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1Combine meat, salt, pepper, onion, celery or carrots, 2 tbsp butter, and egg; mix well. (Save for use as directed later).
- 2Add pepper, salt, 1 tablespoons butter, and green pepper [I used chopped jalapenos] to potates; mix well. (Also save for use as directed later).
- 3Sift flour once, measure; add baking powder, salt and poultry seasoning; sift again.
- 4Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- 5Add milk; mix until flour is dampened.
- 6Knead gently on floured board a few seconds.
- 7Roll out to 15x10 in rectangle.
- 8Shape potato mixture into roll, about 1 in shorter than width of dough.
- 9Place on dough; roll as for jelly roll, but only enough to enclose potatoes in dough.
- 10Spread meat mixture evenly over remainder of dough; continue rolling. Seal edges.
- 11Place roll in well-greased 9x4 in loaf pan.
- 12Brush top with milk. Gash top.
- 13Bake at 400 degrees for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pillsbury's Dinner-In-A-Roll
Serving Size: 1 (190 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 700.0
- Calories from Fat 363
- Total Fat 40.4 g
- Saturated Fat 15.7 g
- Cholesterol 85.3 mg
- Sodium 1472.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 24.1 g