Recipe by Roxygirl in Colorado
My best looking appetizer looks like you bought it from a Greek bakery! This is so easy and sure to please! Takes just a few minutes to spread pesto, sprinkle cheese, nuts, in between layers of prepared pie dough, and into the oven.
Top Review by gbenton789
It was good, not great. The pesto, and I heaped it on, was too oily with the Jack cheese. Next time I will make my own pesto with less oil and use a drier, pungent cheese like feta. It's a pretty basic recipe so could see adding cooked chicken breast and some sun-dried tomatoes to break up the oil as well. Otherwise a fantastic idea!
- 1 (2 count) packagepillsbury prepared pie dough (you will use both dough rounds)
- 1⁄2 cup pesto sauce
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- milk (for brushing on top)
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- paprika (to sprinkle)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place FIRST round of dough onto greased cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Spread pesto, sprinkle cheese and place SECOND ROUND of dough on top and seal edges with a fork.
- Brush top of crust with a little milk.
- Sprinkle pine nuts evenly and dust with paprika.
- Bake about 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool slightly and cut into wedges.