Recipe by Big D Texas
This is directly off the side of the box of the Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts. (The roll out kind) This one NEVER fails, and has a "real version" and an each shortcut version. THANK YOU PILLSBURY!
Top Review by mollypie
Thank you for posting this! It is the recipe I use every time I make apple pie and it was not on the box this time. It has just about the right spices. I add a little more cinnamon and a touch of cardomon to perk it up. Use the slicer side of my box shredder for the perfect apple slices and I have a great pie every time. Thank you for posting!!
- 1419.54 ml thinly sliced apples
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml all-purpose flour
- 3.69 ml cinnamon
- 1.23 ml salt
- 0.59 ml ground nutmeg
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- 2 pie crusts
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- Place one pie crust in a 9" pie place. Press firmly against the side and bottom.
- In a large bowl, gently mix filling ingredients; spoon into crust-line pie plates. Top with second pie crust. Wrap excess top pie crust under the bottom crust edge, pressing edges together to seal; flute. Cut slits of shapes in several places of top crust.
- Bake 40 - 45 minutes, or until apples are tender and crust is golden brown. Cover crust with 2-3 inch wide strips of foil 15 - 20 minutes of baking to prevent excessive browning. I bought one of those round crust shields that really works here. Cool on cooling rack at least 2 hours before serving.
- Variation short cut: One 21 oz can of apple pie filling and one 21 oz can of sliced apples can be substituted for the filling - still use the spices.
- Add- on - Caramel Apple Pie - immediately after removing pie from the oven, drizzle 1/3 cup (or less) of caramel sundae toppng (like Smuckers) on top of the pie and sprinkle with @ with two tablespoons of chopped pecans. I have done this and it is wonderful both in taste and appearance.