Prep 25 mins
Cook 6 hrs
From Pillsbury Easy Entertaining booklet 1993. This is a very pretty, company-worthy round trifle. This is perfect for the holidays. It isn't hard but it does take a very long time. It does not have to be overnight but you would have to start it very early. I have not tried this recipe yet. I had to guess at the prep time but it will be around 7 hours with all the sitting and refrigerating. Once the bread is baked the cooking part is done, however. I think for the bread I will try Cranberry-Orange Quick Bread #77086.
- 1 package pillsbury cranberry quick bread mix (or Date)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup orange-flavored liqueur or 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 (3 ounce) package vanilla, pudding and pie filling mix (not instant)
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- 1 (12 ounce) jar orange marmalade (1 1/2 c) or 1 (12 ounce) jar peach preserves (1 1/2 c)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour bottom only of 8x4 or 9x5 inch loaf pan. Prepare and bake quick bread mix according to package directions. (Or make your own.) Cool completely.
- Cut bread into 1-inch squares; place in shallow baking dish. Drizzle with orange liqueur. Cover; let stand for about 2 hours. Meanwhile, in medium saucepan combine pudding, milk and orange peel. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute; remove from heat. Cover surface with plastic wrap; cool 1 hour. Fold whipped cream into cooled pudding.
- Line 2 or 2 1/2 quart bowl with plastic wrap. Spread 1 cup of the pudding mixture in bottom of bowl. Add 1/3 of bread squares; spread with 1/3 of the marmalade and 1 cup of the pudding mixture. Starting with bread squares, repeat layers 2 more times. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Unmold trifle onto serving plate. In small bowl, beat 1 cup whipping cream until soft peaks form. Add powdered sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Frost trifle. Garnish as desired.
- Presentation: The picture has almond slices along the bottom of the sides and orange curls and candied cranberries on the top. Around the trifle are very thin orange slices with a slit cut in one side so they can be placed in a swoop, almost a figure eight, with a candied cranberry in the center of each.