Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is from the former Portuguese colony of Mozambique. The word 'pili' and also 'piri' are words in the local languages for the English word pepper and is the name for the African bird's eye chile.
- 2 cups bird's eye pepper or 2 cups habanero peppers or 2 cups jalapeno peppers, stemmed minced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- Using 1 tbsp olive oil in a skillet, saute peppers and onion for 10 minutes. Add to food processor or blender along with remaining ingredients. Puree until desired consistency.
- Add to freshly cleaned skillet and bring sauce to medium heat. Cook for 10 minutes. Allow to cool and refrigerate. Use within 2 weeks.