Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Yummy sandwich. I see this sandwich in a lot of restaurants in my hometown in Alaska, but I rarely see it in the lower 48. Sandwiches can be cut into 4 squares to serve at parties or brunches.
- 8 slices French bread or 8 slices sourdough bread (If using french bread, cut off majority of crust so that it can be fried on both sides.)
- 3⁄4 cup thousand island dressing
- 1⁄2 lb swiss cheese
- 1 lb sliced turkey breast
- Spread outside of bread lightly with mayonnaise.
- Spread inside of bread with thousand island dressing.
- Equally divide turkey between 4 sandwiches.
- Equally divide cheese between 4 sandwiches.
- Put in frying pan, as you would fry a grilled cheese sandwich over medium heat.
- When toasted and cheese is melted, sandwich is ready to enjoy!
This was delicious! I added pickles to it and pressed it like a panini. It was a good companion for soup. I think I'll look for a way to reduce the calories though.
This was really good. I must admit that I did not coat the bread in mayonnaise and used butter instead. I couldn't get past the mayo fried, but it turned out lovely with butter. I also used a press to make them more like paninis. Delish! Thanks Wildeyeris!
I love this sandwich!! we call these "rachel" sandwiches (as opposed to a reuben) They can also have sourkraut on them like a reuben.