Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This comes from my "Best Food for the Heart" cookbook. It is a quick alternative to stuffed potatoes. Try it this way first then experiment with your own ideas. I bet you will never make it the same way twice....LOL....just use whatever you have on hand.
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat sour cream (or yoghurt)
- 1 tomatoes (sliced)
- 2 slices lean ham (cut into strips)
- 1 cup mushroom (roughly chopped)
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1⁄2 cup grated edam cheese
- Don't peel, just wash & scrub the potatoes and either boil until just tender or prick well & microwave until softened.
- When cooked, slice and place in a flan or quiche dish.
- Pour over the sour cream and top with remaining ingredients in order listed.
- Grill/Broil for 4-5 minutes until cheese melts and begins to turn golden brown.
- Leave to stand for at least 5mins before serving to allow any liquid to absorb.
I am going to make these again to give a proper review but it will have to be after my potato-less diet ends! I had to leave and let hubby assemble and cook, he made an executive decision to put it in the oven for 20 minutes. So I will try to remember to give this one another go and give a much better review. Made for AU/NZ Recipe Swap #24
I was worried about the tomato in this dish, I wasn't sure that I would like it. I was wrong. After reading the previous review, I decided to core and lightly seed the tomato (I used two) to try to elimnate some of the water. I also let the dish sit for about 7 minutes and I didn't have any water issues. To keep with the lowfat theme, I also used some low fat 4 cheese blend and a touch of smoked gouda on top (I couldn't find any edam) I really loved these flavors together and I will be making this again. And again. And most likely again.
*Yummy potatoes Jen* - like an expanded twice-baked potato w/none of the fuss & bother. Simple ingredients, simple prep & simply delicious = a winner for me. From start-to-finish, this was done in less than the time you posted. I added some garlic powder to the sour cream layer, used a combo of thin sandwich ham + bacon that I crisped while the potatoes cooked & esp liked the use of the tomato & mushrooms here. There was some water-like fluid in the bottom of the dish, but I think letting it rest for a few min b4 serving will allow it to set better. Thx for sharing this tasty recipe w/us.