Prep 2 mins
Cook 18 mins
This is a fantastic flavorful side that I found in one of my favorite cookbooks by Cheryl Alters Jamison and Bill Jamison, "American Home Cooking". They're all great!
- Bring the rice, chicken stock, 1 tablespoon of the butter and the salt to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cover.
- Set timer for 18 minutes.
- Meanwhile saute the remainder of butter, the pine nuts, mace and pistachios in a large skillet until they are golden brown.
- After rice is cooked, set it aside with the lid on for 10 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and scoop into the skillet, tossing with the pistachios and pine nuts.
Great recipe! I used pistachios from Orandi Ranch, visit orandiranch.com, because they handcraft their pistachios with Himalayan Pink Salt. I didn't have to use any extra salt in this recipe because of the wonderful balance the pistachios brought to this dish.
This was really delicious. I used a bit of ground cinnamon instead of mace and my own homemade chicken stock. I served this with acorn squash and raisin sauce. I will definitely make this again.
This is definitely a keeper! Had to use salted pistachios, though. So didn't add any extra salt to the dish. I sauted the pistachios and pine nuts until the butter browned a little. This added a little more pizzaz to the rice. The slight hint of mace added more dimension, also. Thnx for sharing your recipe, SRC. Made for My-3-Chefs 2009.