1/1 Photo of Pilau or Pulao (Fragrant Rice)
1 hr 5 mins
A fragrant layered rice mixture to serve with the meal. From lcbo.ca
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Soak basmati rice in water to cover for 30 minutes. Drain.
- 2While rice is soaking, heat oil in large skillet on medium heat. Add onion and salt, and sauté for 10 minutes or until brown and crisp.
- 3Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- 4Bring a large pot of water to boil, add rice and boil for 3 minutes. Drain.
- 5Butter a heavy ovenproof saucepan with a tight-fitting lid. Divide rice in three. Place a layer of rice on base. Scatter over half of mint, coriander and garam masala and half of onions. Repeat layers ending with rice. Pour over lemon juice. Stir together saffron and milk in a bowl. Pour over rice. Cover with a circle of parchment paper and the lid.
- 6Place in oven and steam for 30 to 40 minutes or until rice is tender.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pilau or Pulao (Fragrant Rice)
Serving Size: 1 (94 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 217.6
- Calories from Fat 46
- Total Fat 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 1.4 mg
- Sodium 9.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 4.3 g