A fragrant layered rice mixture to serve with the meal. From lcbo.ca
Make and share this Pilau or Pulao (Fragrant Rice) recipe from Food.com.
- Soak basmati rice in water to cover for 30 minutes. Drain.
- While rice is soaking, heat oil in large skillet on medium heat. Add onion and salt, and sauté for 10 minutes or until brown and crisp.
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Bring a large pot of water to boil, add rice and boil for 3 minutes. Drain.
- Butter a heavy ovenproof saucepan with a tight-fitting lid. Divide rice in three. Place a layer of rice on base. Scatter over half of mint, coriander and garam masala and half of onions. Repeat layers ending with rice. Pour over lemon juice. Stir together saffron and milk in a bowl. Pour over rice. Cover with a circle of parchment paper and the lid.
- Place in oven and steam for 30 to 40 minutes or until rice is tender.
This was great! I'm new at cooking Indian food and was a little apprehensive of the process, but I didn't have to worry, because it was perfect . . . fragrant, fluffy and fabulous! Thanks for sharing. UPDATE 8/31: Prepared this dish again last night and it did not disappoint. Made it to go with Country Captain ( East India Chicken Curry) . . . DH thought he was back in India again! Love this cooking method! Thanks again, Evelyn.
Excellent recipe! I simply love it. The seasonings are wonderful together. I had to use 1 tsp of dried mint as fresh isn't available just before Christmas but everything else was by the recipe. It turned out fluffy and tender and the fragrance was to die for. I served it with fish but it would be a grand match with chicken or lamb or in a vegetarian meal. Thanks ev for a most enjoyable dish.
Lovely flavors, I enjoyed! I left out the saffron, didn't have. Thank you Evelyn!