Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A satisfying one dish meal with rice, ham, peas and savory flavors. South Carolina has the best! A Southern US region recipe.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 lb boiled ham, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped yellow onions
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped green onion (green and white parts)
- 1⁄2 cup seeded and chopped tomato
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken stock (page 2) or 3 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Melt the butter in a large ovenproof saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the ham and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the onions, celery, salt, pepper, and bay leaves and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables soften, about 4 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir to coat.
- Add the green onions, tomatoes, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the peas and chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Remove the pan from the heat and cover tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let stand, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves.
- Before serving, fluff the rice with a fork.
Im sorry I could only give this five stars!! It is MUCH BETTER THAN 5 stars!!! This is a beautiful dish... so yummy...with a delicious, savory flavor. The peas are a magnificent touch to this perfect dish. I will be making this regularly... I was so afraid to make this at first.. fearing that I would mess it up LOL...but it was so easy!!!! PanNan, thank you so much for this excellent recipe. I am so excited to try more of your recipes!! If the rest are as good as this, I am in for a TREAT!!! I will definitely be eating like a queen!!!