Recipe by Inge 1505
The raisins will plump up sweet and full of the flavors, the cashews will give crunch and the peas will lend additional color and sweetness. One of my favorites from Yamunda Devi's "The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking". Not being a vegetarian I think it is great with a chicken curry and a mixed salad.
Top Review by Happy Harry #2
This was made, not by me, but by one of my students from India. I supervised. This is a lushious dish. The only changes made was using cumin powder instead of seeds and blanched almonds for cashews. Just a hint...be careful of hot oil spitting. This turned out so pretty and is now in my Make Again cookbook!
- 3⁄4 cup long-grain white rice
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons cashews (sub with almonds)
- 1 teaspoon green chili pepper, deseeded, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled, minced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cumin seed (whole)
- 1 1⁄4 cups water (see Note)
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil (sub with 1 t dried)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- NOTE: This yields a firm textured rice, if you prefer your rice soft add 1 1/2 cups water.
- Wash and drain the rice. Start defrosting peas. Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Heat the oil in a small pot over medium heat. When hot add cashews and fry for 3-5 minutes until golden brown, stirring frequently. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Cashews will darken a few shades while cooling.
- Raise heat to medium hot, add cumin, chili and ginger to the oil, stir-fry 30 seconds. Add rice and stir-fry another 2 minutes until hot.
- Add water, raisins, salt, turmeric, garam masala and herbs. Bring to a boil. Fill into an oven-proof dish, cover tightly and put in middle of the oven for 25 minutes.
- After 20 minutes sprinkle defrosted peas on top and recover quickly. Bake another 5 minutes. Carefully fluff rice with a fork, mixing peas in .
- Serve immediately sprinkled with the cashews or re-cover, turn off heat and keep hot in oven for 10 -60 minutes until rest of dinner is ready.